Saturday, October 14, 2006

Please, Thank You and You're Welcome

Like many parents, my wife and I make it a point to teach our children the importance of using Please, Thank You and You're Welcome when they want, receive or give something. I believe that these seemingly innocent words are at the base of most successful human relationships.

Why am I making such a fuss over such a trivial thing as saying Please, Thank You and You're Welcome? Because when you say "Please", you are also saying to the person from whom you are asking "I respect you. I do not take what you have and can give for granted. I bow before you to ask that which I want from you." It is a form of giving recognition and respect.

Similarly, when we say "Thank you", we expressing gratitude, thus acknowledging the other person's generosity towards us. Again, when we are saying "You're Welcome", we are returning the gratitude by acknowledging it.

When we teach Please, Thank You and You're Welcome to our children, we are teaching them the most basic form of respect. We are also continuing a tradition of respect than goes back to the very beginning of humanity; all though I have no historical proof of this!

What does this have to do with creating value? Everything! When you express respect to the other person by saying Please, Thank You and You're Welcome, you are valuing this person, and adding value to a person is an important part of creating value around us!

If you agree or if you don't, please let me know! Thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home